Over recent years, investment and government incentive for young people to take their education further has meant that universities and colleges around the world have begun to offer a broader range of Undergraduate and Masters degrees. Whilst enrollment figures are higher than they have ever been, it is fair to say we have also seen the introduction of some very strange degree level courses. Here are my top five.
5. Sports Ministry is offered at Campbell University’s School of Theology in Kentucky làm bằng đại học . The undergraduate course offers prospective students the opportunity to major in the subject which involves relationship building, witnessing, and ultimately preparing to teach sport in a Christian environment and under the eyes of God. It is also stipulated that students must complete 18 hours of core Christian studies.
4. At the opposite end of the spectrum MA in Digital Games is available at Liverpool John Moores University in the UK. The course offers the obligatory focus on the changing form and content of games, but also teaches theoretical notions of game play, as well as the cultural and social issues surrounding video games. The university states: “We strongly believe that digital games are one of the most significant cultural forms of our time.”
3. Tae Kwon Do is also available to pursue as a Masters Degree. At Kyung Hee University in South Korea the course offers to build physical, theoretical, and spiritual knowledge around the subject to such an extent that MA graduates become missionaries of the art form. The course sees many enrolments from international students.
2. Mississippi State University in the US offers a degree course in Floral Management. Of course, graduates aren’t intended to leave to go and work in the local Interflora. Instead, they become floral display artists, designers for special events, and flower wholesalers, via an in-depth learning of horticulture, design, maintenance, and business.
1. But perhaps the strangest of the recent degrees received is the Doctorate in Philosophy of Ufology gained by Martin Plowman at Melbourne University, Australia. The culture and communication student specialised in the cultural history of UFOs and the philosophies held by those who claim to have been abducted, despite being a sceptic himself. PhDs are awarded for significant new contributions to a field, and Plowman has collated his research into a new book.
There are many professionals who wish for that additional degree in their resume that could get them the promotion that they aspire for. There are many people who discontinued their studies to start on a job and who want to continue their studies, now that they have settled down. There are students who want to get an extra qualification along with their regular studies that will increase their prospects in the job market. Online college degrees are meant for these people. Further, those who live in far off places and who are unable to attend college also benefit from online college degrees.
With an increase in the number of people who are looking for an additional degree, there has been an increase in the number of universities providing online programs. Even Ivy League colleges have started offering degrees online.
Universities provide online degrees on a variety of subjects like engineering, arts, basic sciences, behavioral sciences, literature, business administration, accounting, law, information technology etc.
People are apprehensive about the credibility of the degrees online offered by various universities. Usually, the educational institutions have to be accredited by certain organizations that are dedicated to educational excellence. The degrees offered by institutions without accreditation are not respected by employers and other institutions. Same is the case with online college degrees offered by various universities.
The course and study materials of online programs offered by universities are mostly prepared by or prepared under the assistance of the lecturers and professors who teach in the regular colleges under them. The subjects and syllabus are also the same as that of regular colleges. But these courses offer little in molding a person’s character. People who are afraid of speaking in front of groups generally prefer the online degrees. They won’t be able to put into use the knowledge they earned and they will not be good in building interpersonal relations. This may be the reason why employers still have some inhibitions against the online degrees from universities.
These inhibitions are slowly disappearing as more prestigious and recognized universities have started online college degree programs. Many organizations are encouraging their employees to get additional qualifications through online programs offered by good universities as employees with additional qualifications are always an asset to an organization. Some companies even pay for their staff to attend college during work hours to increase the over all education capacity of their team. Some companies also provide this as a perk to retain dedicated staff.